Monday 21 October 2013

OUGD504: Design for print, Brief breakdown

My breakdown of the brief:

The brief has asked us to design an 'info-pack' of things to know, consider or remember in order to produce successful design for print. I need to undergo individual/ independent investigation of the methods, processes and formats that can be used to create innovative but practical solutions to print based design.

I am required to select, summarise and evaluate appropriate primary & secondary source material. I need to demonstrate an understanding of print processes, conventions and creative opinions from the prospective of a graphic designer, and show my ability to effectively organise and present a body of information in a designed format.

Everything I produce should be designed, considered and effective, I need to be in complete control. My work needs to be ordered and informative with clear examples of what I mean, the style I own, derived from the study of the work of other designers.

Evidence of research into:

- Production methods
- Stock considerations
- Colour systems
- Commercial Costings

In our studio sessions we defined six different areas of design for print:


Format: Scale and size, working within the surroundings, e.g. booklet, poster.

Colour: Colour modes, hues, function etc.


Stock: Substrates for printing, considerations, type of stock.


These three are closely related:


Production: "Actual making of it".


Process: The method.


Finishing: Production and process.


I believe from these five categories I can split them into two sections, design and production:


Design:


- Format

- Colour

Production:

- Production

- Processes
- Finishing
- Stock








No comments:

Post a Comment