Wednesday 12 February 2014

OUGD501: Theory into practice - Initial ideas and development

I started by mind mapping ideas after having a discussion with Richard and Phil:


I then sketched out a few ideas so I could then take them onto the computer:



I started by looking at the main features of each poster, this included the text used, the colours, the composition of the design, and any imagery used.

With the 'I Want You...' poster I first tried incorporating a star into the design.



The star wasn't working, but I liked the idea of making the YOU prominent, so I increased the point size and enlarged them at the bottom of the page. For each poster I used Akzidenz Grotesk as the font.


Here is the final poster I stuck with. I added the text at the top, making sure it was perfectly aligned.


 For the guinness poster, I was first using another guinness image, not the one I finally decided to use.

I initially tried to mimic the pelican on a swiss style, using the colours and the symmetrical shapes.



Here I used crosses to represent pelicans flying, which featured in another guinness advert.


And here I attempted to use the shape of the glass as the main image, but it wasn't really working.



 I then decided to use circles to represent the top of the pint glass.





This is the final design for the Guinness poster. I kept the colour and the text minimal like the poster used, I overlapped the circles as I found this was a common feature in swiss design.


The Japanese design I struggled with because, one I couldn't fully translate what the image said, and also there wasn't much to work with.



I decided to play on the exclamation mark and make that a prominent feature in the design.



Here is the final design I went with:


For the Russian poster, I had to find a translation, and make sure it was correct. I managed to get a translation from different sources and worked out what it said using google translate.

There is a lot of block colour and shapes in the poster so this worked to my advantage. 




I played around with the type to see what I could produce, but I didn't think it was worked vertically.


Here is the final design:



For the Moulin Rouge poster I used the repeated title to aid my design. I first tried to use the shape of the mans face in the poster, and have that repeated across the page, but when I tried it didn't look right, and it didn't fit with the asymmetrical rules of Swiss design.


I then tried to mimic the crowd and the dances in an abstract form.


Here I used shapes to form an M, it was effective, but I didn't really like it.


 Here is the final design. The blocks form an 'M', and they are also meant to reflect the legs of the dancers













No comments:

Post a Comment