Monday 17 February 2014

OUGD503: Studio Brief 1 - Billiards Box Design - Research

I've chosen a brief of 99 designs, which asks to create boxing for a knew billiards game. I'm interested in packaging, and this is a little different to what I would normally choose.

The brief asks to make it friendly but serious and to keep in mind that it's for 12+, young kids and teenagers.

I'm going to look at information/ pictures related to billiards/ pool. I'm going to look at colour, table and ball design etc.


Pool, also more formally known as pocket billiards (mostly in North America) or pool billiards (mostly in Europe and Australia), is the family of cue sports and games played on a pool table having six receptacles called pockets along the rails, into which balls are deposited as the main goal of play. Popular versions include eight-ball and nine-ball. An obsolete term for pool is six-pocket.
There are hundreds of pool games. Some of the more well known include eight-ball, nine-ball, ten-ball, straight pool, one-pocketand bank pool.
There are also hybrid games combining aspects of both pool and carom billiards, such as American four-ball billiards, cowboy pool and bottle pool.







To me pool comes across as a very traditional game, mostly played by men, and usual situated in pubs and bars etc. I'm going to look at old poster design, pub signs because I believe they hold an aesthetic that is appropriate for this game.











All these posters have a very 1900's traditional style, fonts which flow into one another. The fonts are all serif, big and bold and scream out authentic and quality. I really like the use of some of the banners which hold text, and a lot of the floral patterns are very detailed adding an edge of quality. Colours vary, a lot of the designs tend to feature just two colours, one for the fonts and one for the background. I like the hand drawn chalk on the blackboard, I think it's an idea that would be interesting to try, and may let me experiment with hand drawn type.


















No comments:

Post a Comment